Our house has many beautiful period details: mantels, moldings, pier mirrors, wainscoting… but the floors are a whole different matter. When we moved, every single room had some kind of floor covering. The third floor, was all stick-on tile. The parlor floor was mostly parquet laminate and ceramic tile and the same for the garden […]Read More Front parlor floor
So where were we? Ah, yes, the façade. The epic project to end all projects. To recap: scaffold went up, and we had 28 days to strip. On day 29, the scaffolding turned into a pumpkin and went on to a different job site.Read More Big Project Week 4 (5, 6, 7…)
(or at least I think that’s what the weird bird thingies are).Read More Griffons!
Things have been a bit sluggish over the past few months, but a few projects did get crossed off the list. First up: front doors. The doors are not original, but they are close enough. The previous owner installed these and overall, we’re really happy with them. They are a close match to what the original […]Read More Black Doors
For the Why Did They Paint Over This? file: I decided to take a break from stripping the bedroom walls and strip the front parlor fireplace cover. This poor thing has been relegated to the basement since before we bought the house, as the previous owner replaced it with one of those awful Home Depot […]Read More Mid-Strip
It’s been 147 days since we last occupied our bedroom. It all started back in August, when we treated ourselves to some professional help and had all the woodwork in our bedroom stripped. Our paint-caked walls were a casualty of the ferocious paint removal activity, and the room looked like an alien murder site. What […]Read More 5 months, 23 days (and counting)
With the weather getting cooler stupid cold, the work outside has slowed stopped. October/November were not particularly productive because work (as in we need to fund this restoration by actually working) got in the way. Here is where we left things off: The garden level is mostly done, but there are still some stubborn patches, primarily […]Read More Update-ish
Progress is slow but steady, with a good portion of the paint on the garden level gone. For most part, it’s a pretty straight forward process: apply the goop, cover with paper, wait, scrape, wash. Repeat if necessary. But since this is a learn-by-doing type of project, I found out that removing paint from where the […]Read More Stubborn paint
A comment from a neighbor pretty much sums it up: “I always see you here, working. Never partying. Just working.” I’m pretty sure the neighbors think I’m absolutely certifiable. Stripping a stone façade is really not a typical DIY project. People usually hire professionals to do that, and methodology aside, I do understand why. Passers-by […]Read More Weekend projects by crazy people
A normal person may look at what projects need to be done and prioritize accordingly. A normal person may look carefully at the options available and make sure not to overburden themselves by taking on more than they can handle. A normal person will finish a project before starting a new one. Well, normal people […]Read More Another day, another project (and a post with terrible photos).